Monday 11 January 2021

Doubly Cautious

Until recently, I've felt pretty safe from COVID-19 infection. Prevalance of the virus has been high in big cities and throughout most of South Wales, but here in the Forest of Dean its felt significantly safer.  The pandemic is here, of course, and tragically 65 people have died, but I've judged that so long as I'm reasonably careful, I should be okay.  

All that has changed with the arrival of the virulent 'new variant' of the virus.

The Zoe Symptoms Study App, which tends to anticipate the official data by several days, paints a still more worrying picture.  

Two acquaintances of mine from the Lydney area have been hospitalised, and three others are poorly and confined to their homes. If ever there was a time to be doubly cautious, it is surely now. So I've stopped attending church (even though it remains permissible) and taken to shopping in Tesco and Co-op when I know it will be reasonably quiet. I'm doing my best to keep to the rules, and not just pay them lip service... if I can understand them.


Here in the Forest of Dean we are blessed with mile upon mile of quiet, safe woodland walks, but how far should I wander? For me, a 'proper' walk is at least 6-7 miles long, but some may feel that such a walk will inevitably take me beyond my local area.  That was certainly the opinion of the Derbyshire police in a well-publicised case, but I'm pleased to see that common sense has prevailed and the two ladies' fines cancelled. The Prime Minister also drew criticism from the Evening Standard for cycling 7 miles from his home. Again, common sense seems to have prevailed, with a Downing Street source telling the BBC: "The PM has exercised within the Covid rules and any suggestion to the contrary is wrong."


Ah, but what is Angie doing here? One may exercise; one may sit and cogitate; but one may not have a picnic – even in a leafy glade such as this, miles from the nearest village. Well, my dears, the cup of steaming brew that I'm clutching is merely warming my hands, you see, and the contented smile on my face has nothing to do with a round of Co-op sandwiches that I bought, earlier in the day.  How careful one must be!


 

2 comments:

  1. I felt very nervous about arrest on my own exercise outings early last year. I expected to return to my car only to find officers waiting for me, wanting to know why my car was parked ten miles from home, even though this was in deep (and lonely) countryside. It never happened. But it might have.

    Now the police are getting serious again. So I shall be staying within a ten mile radius from home. As before, walking the local roads from one's front door is to risk encounters with other pedestrians who often don't take their turn to walk out into passing traffic so that we won't pass close by. Couples and dog walkers seem especially reluctant to do the proper thing. Fortunately this OAP is sprightly, but I resent having to dart off the pavement and out into the road so much.

    Little wonder it seems more sensible to get into Fiona and drive to some wayside spot for my fresh air!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything you say will be taken down and...

    ReplyDelete