Thursday 31 December 2020

High Points in 2020

 "With what joy we welcomed 2020, and with what joy we shall say goodbye to it!" So wrote I in a Christmas letter to a friend. But despite the death, disease and disaster that have blighted our world, I feel very blessed in being able to look back on good times too. So, to end another year of blogging, here – quite literally – are some high points.


At the beginning of the March lockdown I climbed Coppet Hill, near Goodrich, from where there are lovely views of the River Wye. As we drove the 5½ miles from home, I recall wondering whether such excesses were really permitted. The worries soon passed.


A sunny Monday in May found me (appopriately) on May Hill – the first time I'd been up there. It turned out to be an interesting place, with ancient earthworks, cows with Swiss bells and memorable views of the Malverns and, nearer to home, the lofty spire of St Mary's Church in Ross-on-Wye. 


COVID having laid claim to our Irish holiday, we had a wonderful week exploring Dartmoor. Here I am on Haytor. It was great fun to climb, with a yawning chasm to leap over on the way up. (Well, that's the way I like to remember it.  In truth it may have been a little less dramatic.) 


One week later we were in North Devon. Here is the spectacular view from the Tarka Trail, looking down on Lynmouth, with the houses of Lynton just visible on the left. It's one of those views that stops you in your tracks. "Wow!"


In October I climbed Skirrid, three days before the first Welsh lockdown which cut me off from so many of my favourite hills.  Despite low-lying mist in the valleys, it was a memorable day and I congratulated myself on (for once) getting the timing right.

Five high points; five lovely memories.  That's that way I'd like to remember 2020.


1 comment:

  1. You get to some wonderful places, Angie! And I'm so glad you take pictures, to share the views with your readers.

    Happy New Year!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete