Friday 22 January 2021

Vitamin D - further thoughts

Vitamin D – a permanent addition
to my kitchen supplies?
Yesterday I tried to replenish my dwindling stock of vitamin D tablets.  I failed – Lloyds, Lydney Pharmacy and Tesco had all sold out. Here was evidence indeed that the popularity of vitamin D supplements has risen considerably since I wrote on this subject last November. But is this popularity justified?

The NHS recommends that most of us should take 10µg of vitamin D daily during autumn and winter, and the government has now authorised care homes to issue this to their elderly residents. It has long been known that we produce insufficient vitamin D from sunlight in the winter months, and that a 10µg supplement will result in healthy bones and prevent the onset of rickets. 

Rickets?! I for one have no fear of rickets, and believe that my bones remain health through winter and summer. So why add vitamin D to my healthy diet?

Well, there is mounting evidence that vitamin D plays an essential part in protecting us from a whole host of diseases, and not least coronoviruses such as the common cold and Covid-19.

Undoubtedly, the reluctance of many official bodies to recommend daily doses higher than 10µg is down to the appalling record of the 'health food' industry, with it's widespread unsubstantiated claims for a plethora of pills and potions. 

Last November I wrote about how Dr John Campbell, in his YouTube videos, had convinced me to take 20µg of vitamin D (twice the NHS recommended dose) every day in the winter months. Dr John himself was taking double that amount, but at the time I judged that 20µg would be a good start.


On 14th January David Davis MP held an Adjournment Debate in the House of Commons. On the current policy of lockdowns, he said: "There is no doubt that they are incredibly costly, in economic damage, in individual freedom, in mental health, and even in lives lost to other causes."  He went on to argue strongly that wider use of vitamin D had the potential to mitigate (NB not 'prevent') these disastrous consequences at little expense and no risk.  A 25µg vitamin D pill costs less than 5p.

In response, the government minister reiterated the value of everyone of taking 10µg a day during autumn and winter, but cast doubt on the data referred to by Mr Davis. She did, however, go on to mention a large-scale trial at St Mary's University that aims to report later in the year.


A few days later, David Davis appeared on John Campbell's YouTube channel. These two exponents of vitamin D supplements enjoyed a long (and sometimes rambling) discussion, but I recommend watching it if you have 83 minutes to spare – Vitamin D with Mr David Davis MP - YouTube.

Here's something else that's relevant... Last December, on the website vitamindforall.org, an open letter appeared, entitled "Over 200 Scientists & Doctors call for Increased Vitamin D use to combat Covid-19."  Most of the signatories were unknown to John Campbell, but (in his own words) were "a pretty reputable bunch."  Among them I spotted Dr. Gareth Davies, PhD Medical Physics, of Imperial College, London.  What most interested me was that each signatory had been asked to state their recommended daily dose of vitamin D, and the amount they were actually taking.  Every one of them recommended at least 2000IU (50µg), most recommended 4000IU and many admitted personally to taking considerably more than this. 

So was I able to replenish my stock of vitamin D? Somewhat reluctantly I went online to Holland & Barrett. They wanted £18.49 for 250 25µg tablets, which, at 7p per tablet, seemed rather expensive. However, they currently have a "1p Sale", so for an extra 1p I was able to order 500 tablets. They arrived this morning.  We have both upped our daily dose to 50µg, so now have enough to last about 4 months. 

Of course, the best way to avoid being infected with Covid-19 is to obey the lockdown rules and recommendations, but it's good to know that we have this extra layer of protection from serious illness. Since we are also likely to have improved our resistance to colds and flu, we may well continue taking vitamin D long after this pandemic is ended. 

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to follow this unfolding engagement with Vitamin D. Personally, I don't feel I need a supplement, as I do get out for a town or country walk in sunshine on most days, even in the winter. Chasing sunny photographs is a great incentive!

    However, further evidence could make me change my mind.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete