Monday 25 January 2021

Great chieftain o' the pudding-race

I doubt that there's a gill of Scottish blood in me.  My father was from Lancashire and my mother from Nottinghamshire.  The only association with Scotland that I can think of is that, after my paternal grandfather's untimely death, my grandmother married a McCabe.  I do, however, have some Scottish friends, and when one of them announced that he was planning to celebrate Burns Night, I decided to join in the fun... albeit with a non-too-subtle Cornish enhancement.

The monster haggis I'm holding is a Campbell's Chieftain, which (according to its creators) contains enough meat, oatmeal and offal to feed six people. It's certainly too big for the two of us, thus guaranteeing that we'll be eating haggis for a few days after Burns Night. It cost me £10.95 + postage and arrived last Friday, since when it's been gently thawing in the fridge.

Most recipes I've seen recommend boiling haggis, whilst one friend assures me that microwaving is fine. However, the Scots lady who first introduced me to the delights of haggis recommended roasting, and the results were so good that we've felt no need to try other methods. The same lady also advised me not to dwell too long on what goes into a haggis, but simply to enjoy the taste.  Wise words!  Here's what Campbell's assure me goes into theirs..

Lamb Lungs (26%), Beef Fat, OATMEAL, Water, Beef, Ox Liver, Seasoning: [Salt, Rusk: (Fortified WHEAT Flour: (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agent: E503ii), Spices: (Black Pepper, Cayenne, Coriander, Ginger, Allspice), Flavouring], Kibbled Onion, Beef Connective Tissue, Gravy Browning: (Colour (E150c), Water)

... and all wrapped up in a sheep's stomach. Vegetarians and the squeamish may like to know that Tesco sell a vegetarian version that I'm told tastes rather good. 

Here's our variation on the traditional 'neeps and tatties'. We prefer our tatties lightly roasted, rather that mashed, and have substituted peas, sweetcorn and leeks for mashed swede.  And in further departures from a true Burns Night celebration, the Scottish piper was given the night off (due to Covid restrictions, of course!) and I only attempted two lines of Burns' famous Address to a Haggis. 

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race! 

The remaining 7½ verses I happily leave to those who have mastered the Lalans accent.  This Cornish maid has her limitations!

And the verdict?  Excellent!  And so was the Islay Malt that followed it.  Thank you, Scotland.

2 comments:

  1. I like Haggis too. But it's a bit synful (7 of them) in Slimming World terms. Still, so tasty that I may allow myself some soon!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Envious! I did not do the grocery order so not responsible for the miserable plastic encased miserable thing which arrived. I do mash which is as smooth as cream and goes wonderfully well with mashed neeps and carrot. Sadly not a morsel for leftovers.

    I have tried requesting a friend to pipe in a haggis in a domestic building, perhaps that is why my ears ring all the time.

    ReplyDelete