Sunday 30 September 2018

Cadair Idris

Of all the objectives I set myself on this holiday, the one I most wanted to achieve was to climb Cadair Idris, which is the second-highest mountain in Snowdonia.

There are three popular routes to the summit – Fox's Path, Minffordd Path and the Pony Track. Fox's is the shortest but seems to be few people's favourite. The Minffordd Path is the most spectacular but starts with a 'crazily steep ascent' from the valley car park (so I was told by someone who had just climbed it) and has a total ascent of 3050 feet. After much pondering I chose the Pony Track which climbs a modest 2460 feet in about 2¾ miles. According to WalkUpSnowdon.co.uk, it's a straightforward slog and boasts expansive views on a clear day.

A clear day was obviously going to be essential for this walk. I didn't care to expend all that effort then be enveloped in mist at the summit – as happened to me once on Great Gable. "The finest views in all Lakeland," according to Wainwright, but all I could see was a sheep on a rock, 30ft away.

For three days the sun shone in the valleys but the mountain tops stayed shrouded in mist. But then the clouds lifted and the forecast was for sunshine all day, so up we went.


Here's the view from about half way up. Ty Nant Car Park, our starting point, is somewhere among those trees in the centre of the photo. You can just see Dolgellau in the distance.



Cyfrwy (The Saddle) looked vaguely familiar. Where had I seen it before?




Ah yes, of course – on the map I was following!

Incidentally, having installed Memory Map on my smartphone, I now have the 1:25,000 OS maps for the whole of England, Scotland and Wales. So I've taken to buying the 1:50,000 Landranger maps of the areas I visit as I find them perfect for planning routes and general sight-seeing. Also – and I think this is very important for us ramblers and hill walkers – it's not wise to rely solely on maps on ones smartphone. If the battery goes flat and one gets lost, what then?


Almost there now. Just one final steep scramble ahead of me, over rocks. I love this view, with Barmouth Bridge and the Mawddach Estuary clearly visible beyond The Saddle.





Finally, a couple of view from the summit. Darkening skies threatened rain but thankfully didn't deliver.

What my photos don't show is that we shared the summit with at least a couple of dozen other hill walkers. It's a popular trek and an exhilarating one. Indeed, I didn't see one other person arrive at the summit and not stand beside, or on top of, the triangulation point with a big grin on their face.

I have conquered Cadair Idris. Next year Snowdon!



2 comments:

  1. You are getting ambitious ,Did you climb it later in the week.
    Julliette
    I think I have soved my commenting problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only climbed it once, Julliette. That was enough for one week :).

      Delete