Sunday 13 March 2016

The Weather Wol

The last Christmas present of 2015 has found a home.  I was going to call it a Weather Cock but, of course, it isn't. It's a Weather Wol. I looked up the term for a male owl, in the hope that it might be something interesting or raunchy, but there isn't one; male or female, they're just owls. So, in honour of the most famous of all owls, and his friend Christopher Robin, it's called Wol.

Wol came with an odd prong-like end that is supposed to be stuck into the ground, but it didn't look very secure.  More importantly, Wol would be too low, sheltered by the garden fencing, so up the clothes line pole he went. You may just be able to spot that my technical training has once more come to the fore — he's held in place with lots of Gaffer Tape.

Now all Wol needs is some wind to spring him into action. Then, on stormy morning, I will be able to peer out of my kitchen window, observe his little anemometer cups whizzing around and conclude that drinking another cup of tea in my cosy lounge is a Very Sensible Thing To Do.

4 comments:

  1. Too much wind, though, and he'll fall off his perch with dizziness!

    I think my own rear garden needs a wind-driven feature like this. Not necessarily an owl. And it mustn't creak.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere on the net is a flow chart showing that almost all problems can be fixed with gaffer tape. Always try to pack a roll when going on a long trip...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Weather Wol is still up after an encounter with Storm Katie.
    I didn't need to inspect anything early this morning a quick trip to the bath room and the roaring of the wind sent me scampering back to bed and burrowing deep under the Duvet
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wol has come through the storm unscathed and with his little anemometer spinning at 20 to the dozen.

      On a cold morning, warm duvets take a lot of beating!

      Delete