Tuesday 8 March 2016

On the Exeter Canal

The night after our adventure around Minions was spent at the Countess Wear Premier Inn, in Exeter. I like Premier Inns.  They may not be the height of luxury but the beds are comfortable, the baths or showers are spotlessly clean and the breakfasts are great – Full English (if you want it) and cereal, fruit juice, croissants, toast and coffee in abundance. What more does a girl need before facing the day?  Answer: a lot less than she actually consumed!

To walk it off, I strolled down to the Exeter Canal, then headed off in the direction of Turf Lock and the Exe estuary. Ship Canals like the Exeter lack the bucolic charm of narrow-boat canals, but my walk along the towpath was pleasant enough as I headed south. As so often happens on my walks in the Forest of Dean, I seemed to be the only one not cycling, jogging or walking a dog or two, with just my little ruck sack and camera for company.

I never did make it as far as Turf Lock, spending far too long peering through binoculars at egrets and herons in the water meadows, and watching cormorants dive for fish. So, rather than describe this walk, here's a sample of the wildlife I met on the way...  well, those that came close enough to photograph.



I walked slowly past this one, asking myself whether it was a cormorant or a shag, when it obligingly spread its wings to dry them – a classic cormorant pose! 




The RSPB website describes cormorants as somewhat primitive in appearance, with their long necks making them appear almost reptilian. Zooming in on my previous photo, I have to agree. It looks permanently startled!


A serious wildlife photographer I shall never be.  Not only do I lack a camera with a 2ft long lens and a tripod to mount it on but, more importantly, I lack the patience.  Several minutes, willing an egret or a heron to fly my way was enough for me, but, just as I turned for home, I was rewarded with a good view of this obliging fellow.  I just wish he would have looked my way.


Thankfully, a bold robin flew in to save the day. He see'd me and I see'd 'e, and both of us were happy for it to be that way.  Great! Now I have a good photo for my Christmas cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment