Thursday 7 May 2015

The long night

It's going to be a long night.  Irrespective of how the polls go, I always enjoy watching the General Election results come in. And to sustain me into the wee hours of Friday, I plan to treat myself to generous amounts of wine and cheese.  

I raided Tesco this afternoon, and returned triumphant with...

  • a slab of Long Clawson White Herb & Garlic cheese.  I've not tried this one before, but it looks very yummy.
  • a large block of Cornish (yes Cornish!) Camembert from the Trevarrian Creamery.  Trevarrian is a few miles up the coast from where I lived for 40 years, so I'm expecting a gastronomic treat.
  • a box of Scottish Oatcakes - perfect with cheese.  
  • some breadsticks, lest I tire of the oatcakes (uliklely).
  • a bottle of lovely, smooth Puglia, to wash it all down.
As I write, the BBC's exit pole is predicting that the Conservatives will win 316 seats, Labour 239, Lib Dems 10, Ukip 2 and the SNP a whopping 58.  If they're right then most of the opinion polls will be shown to be very wrong.  This morning, a Poll of Polls that I've been following gave the Conservatives a mere 4 seat lead over Labour.  Either way, it's going to be a fascinating night, and I don't expect to see my bed until 2.30am, at least.

As soon as there's a clear result, I'll post it here... but right now the firm favourite is the Cornish Camembert.

2.28am update: The LibDem-coloured Long Clawson has performed very well, bucking the national trend. As I call it a night, the exit poll is still looking good. The excuses offered by pollsters should be amusing to read over the next few days.


4 comments:

  1. I detect that proceedings didn't go exactly as you thought Angela. I never thought Labour would make any headway and in fact as you see they have fallen back somewhat. I had expected UKIP to do better and as far as actual numbers of votes went they did much better. So I expected the Tories to remain in power even though they didn't get my vote. I wonder how things would look if proportional representation was in force? This is one thing I am strongly in favour of. Its implementation is the problem. Hope you didn't stuff too much of those goodies down your throat Angela, that wouldn't be a healthy thing to do. Hope you got enough sleep too!

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they didn't go quite as I predicted. The North Cornwall Camembert needed to mature a bit more, so the LibDem Long Clawson won the night, with strong support from the bread sticks.

      Seriously, though, it's interesting to look at the share of the vote. LibDems campaigned hard for PR, but if we had adopted it they would have come 4th, behind UKIP, with about 50 seats. North of the border, the SNP would only have won half the Scottish seats, and Labour about a quarter. But I suspect there'll be little more talk of PR for many years to come.

      Delete
  2. I take it the diet had a break last night or did you think that emotional energy would use the extra
    Calories
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed up all night. I was relieved that the Conservatives got a clear victory and that economically we won't be going off in a different direction. But I feel for the poor LibDems. And several very well-known figures - household names - are now out of a job and must be reeling from their very sudden departure from political life. Who would have thought it possible?

    I think you planned your refreshments rather well. I had no special plan myself, and ended up devouring a motley mix of biscuits, cereal, a bacon sandwich, and several cups of tea.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete