Saturday 23 May 2015

Still a pedant

One of the most frequently read posts on this blog is "Pedantic, or just logical?" — first published in October last year and never out of my 'Popular Posts' list since then. Clearly, I am neither alone in my loathing of badly written signs, nor in my love of silly ones.  So, as a sequel, I give you this one, spotted near my cousin Jan's home.  Perhaps someone could explain why a gate is needed there at all!


Sadly, my all-time favourite no longer exists and, idiot that I am, I never photographed it.  On my way home from work, I would pass Little Carworgie Farm, which offered Bed and Breakfast to prospective clients.  To my great amusement, the farm name and the service it offered were printed too close together, and so read:


So, for all time, I have lost my chance to stay in a little bed at a genuine Breakfast Farm.  I wonder what they're like?

3 comments:

  1. Signage is an art form with almost no artists...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The farm was compulsory purchased to make way for the wadebridge bypass. It was owned by a cousin of mine and my great aunt lived there for the last few years of her life. I spent many happy times on the farm during school holidays and practically lived there in the summer months. You would have loved the cosy atmosphere there. The food was amazing as my cousins partner was a cordon bleu cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Adam. The farm always looked warm and welcoming, and it's good to know that, indeed, it was.

      My childhood home, near Newquay, is about to be demolished too -- not to make room for a bypass, but for a swish new housing estate. They call it progress!

      Delete