Thursday 24 July 2014

The follies of the past

If you hoped that I was about to confess my past sins in graphic detail, then I'm sorry to disappoint you. As you know, I'm a good girl, so there's not much to tell anyway.

Rather, this is the aftermath of my post Flickred and Flopped, in which I bemoaned the loss of my photos, after moving this blog from WordPress. Since that fateful day I've been slowly working though the old posts, weeding out ones that can be deleted and restoring the photos in the remainder. Yesterday I alighted on a post from April 2013, entitled Wye we came here – definitely one I'd have liked to keep.  But O dear... I've lost the photos!


This is, of course, my own silly fault. Rather than carefully catalogue my photos, I'd lazily left them in folders called 'temp1', 'temp2', 'untitled', 'new folder', etc.  Still more were languishing on SD cards in 2 cameras and on my smartphone.  No surprise, then, that I've lost a few.  But now I've seen the light.  I've reformed. Henceforth, I promise myself, every photo will be edited and stored in properly arranged folders before it appears here and on my new Flickr site.

So today, in scorching sunshine, I returned to the River Wye to recapture the photos that once graced Wye we came here. In the intervening 15 months I've bought a new camera that takes much better photos than the old Fuji, so hopes were high. Sadly, though, some shots were impossible as then it was Spring and now it is summer; then the river was easily accessible, now meadow grass and Japanese Knotweed crowd the banks.  But the scene, though changed, is as beautiful as before and I had a lovely afternoon, waving to canoeists and chatting with passers-by.  I'm rather pleased with the photos, too. There are more on Flickr, if you're interested.  Just follow the link on the right, under my profile.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, well-saturated shots, Angie: that Canon is pretty good!

    Filing systems tend to be personal and idiosyncratic. The important thing is to set up a system of folders with two objects in mind: easy retrieval of any particular shot, and easy backup onto external media.

    So that's the old bridge at Welsh Bicknor? I'd like a chance of crossing it too.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete