Thursday 10 July 2014

Flickred and Flopped

Flickred

I'm rather proud of this one from 2009, which has already been added to
the Flickr site.  It's of Crowns Mine, at Botallack  in Cornwall.
I've decided to open a Flickr account and go 'public' with a large collection of my photos.  I don't pretend that they're at all special, but it seems that someone is finding them interesting as the hit rate has been creeping up since Day One.  If you fancy a look, follow the link on the right, beneath my profile.

I'm using this exercise to properly title the photos and weed out the ones that are not worth keeping.  And, true to my rather scatty nature, I'm doing them in no particular order, so one day some ancient photos from Cornwall may appear, and on the next the last trip to Newcastle.

One thing that Flickr does enable me to do is to post the result of more walks in the Forest.  Such walks have appeared on this blog with monotonous regularity over the last 18 months, so I think my loyal readers need a break.  

Flopped

There's a far more appropriate word beginning with 'F' to describe this, but it's not at all ladylike... so 'flopped' it is.

Last week I deleted my old WordPress account.  Since moving to Blogger last November, the WordPress blog has simply displayed one post, with a link to this blog.  Over the months I've seen the hit rate on the old blog gradually fall, until last month there were no hits at all.  So no point in keeping it.

What I didn't realize was that, when I imported the blog to this site, Blogger didn't copy the photos; it simply linked them from the WordPress site.  So when I finally deleted that site, all my lovely photos went with it. Ahhhhh!

I am now pondering the alternatives:

1) Restore 4 years of photos from my own collection.  Each would probably need to be reduced in resolution - I generally don't post anything above 800x600, usually a bit less. Sounds like a big job.

2) Delete the lot.  The only old post that gets regular hits is one from 2009 about Olivia Woolley and University Challenge.  Perhaps the time has come to give her a well-deserved break.

No comments:

Post a Comment