Monday 21 July 2014

Holiday plans - it's Sussex by the Sea for me

"Rye - the town that time forgot."  www.tripadvisor.co.uk
I've just paid the final installment on a holiday cottage in East Sussex - one week in September, in the picturesque town of Rye.  Knowing almost nothing about this corner of the Kingdom, I simply worked my way through potentially suitable properties on the Cottages4You site, then checked out each town on Google Images.  Rye came out tops. Friends who know the area assure me that I've chosen well.

After booking, Lucy Melford informed me that the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is almost on the doorstep, so we shall definitely have a ride on that. The Bluebell Railway isn't too far away either, though I've already travelled on that one a couple of times; but not since the line was extended to East Grinstead.  Mmmmm... tempting. Everything else will be a surprise, for we have never explored the South Coast further east than Eastbourne.  I'm particularly looking forward to visiting one or two of the Cinque Ports, that I vaguely remember from history lessons at school.

Today I discovered a bonus - The Rye Arts Festival runs from Friday September 12th, kicking off with a free concert.  Sadly, we had planned to depart for home on the morning of the 13th, but I'm very tempted to stay on for a few more hours to hear Mark Bostridge talk on "The Fateful Year - a year that started in peace and ended in the horrors of World War 1".  It begins at 3pm and tickets cost £12 each, so a late return home is in prospect. I'll phone the booking office tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. A pity about the Festival, but you can always come again (in the right week) next year!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kent and East Sussex must be pretty close as well.
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's only 10 miles away. The Bluebell (40 miles away) may just have lost out to the thrill of seeing a genuine Colonel Stephens survival.

    Thanks, Julliette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to my comment?

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only mentioned that E and I went there when we spent a week down in Folkestone back in 1978, We went on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway. We also visited Rye and northern France too! We thought the same about Rye and its environs. Hope you will too

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete