Wednesday 8 June 2022

Offa's Dyke: Capel-y-Ffin to Hay-on-Wye

A reminder of Angie's brilliant plan (from my last post): "We would have to descend 820ft (250m) from Hatterrall Ridge to Capel-y-Ffin on the first day (which should be easy), then climb all the way back up again on the second (not so easy)."

My confidence was misplaced. After sitting for a while in St Mary's Church (the one with the wonky bell tower), I attempted to get up, whereupon a sharp pain shot through my right thigh muscle.  Often it's possible to 'walk off' such muscle pains, so I slowly made my way to the guest house where we'd be spending the night.

On the following morning my thigh was still hurting, but I was able to walk without too much of a limp.  Only 9½ miles to go!


This was the splendid view from our bedroom window. I climbed that hill in 2018 and found it surprisingly easy as the path zig-zagged, rather than going straight to the summit. Would the return to Hatterrhall Ridge prove equally easy?

Well, despite my aching thigh, we made the 1 mile ascent from the Afon Honddu in just under an hour – the same time that it had taken to come down.  Not bad for an 'oldie'!


The nicest thing I can say about the northern end of Hatterrall Ridge is that it's reasonably flat. Indeed, it's hardly a ridge at all, with few views of anything other than rough grass and gorse. It's also quite boggy, but made much, much easier to cross thanks to long lengths of stone slabs, for which my aching thigh was very grateful. 

On this stretch the trail follows the Wales-England border. Using the satnav location on my Memory Map app, I amused myself by attempted to walk with my left leg in Wales and my right in England. 


Ah, that's a nicer view – Lord Hereford's Knob. The Welsh blandly call it Twmpa (hump) but I like the English name, even though the 'hump' is in Wales.  It surely ought to be twinned with my native Brown Willy.


Before reaching Hay Bluff the Offa's Dyke path veers right and begins its long descend towards the Wye Valley. The views across the valley to the far-off Shropshire hills are wonderful. From here it truly would be downhill all the way.



Here I am, happily descending the grassy path towards Hay, with Hay Bluff behind me. My thigh was feeling a lot better until we stopped for what felt like a well-earned picnic.  When I rose to my feet... ouch! I rubbed Ibuprofen gel into the aching muscle, swallowed a couple of paracetamols and pressed on. Only 2½ miles to go.


With every faltering step, Hay-on-Wye drew closer. 
 

At last I stood on Hay Bridge and looked down upon the River Wye, our journey complete.  Despite the pain in my right thigh, I can honestly say that I'd thoroughly enjoyed the whole 20 mile trek from Pandy. Hundreds of people follow the Offa's Dyke path between Pandy and Hay every year, most doing it in a single day, so I guess it was no great achievement for this 73 year old, but nonetheless I felt rather pleased with myself.  I also felt that I'd earned the right to a taxi ride back to Pandy, rather that enduring a long bus ride via Hereford.

And so, undeterred, I've already made plans to walk the next section of the trail, from Hay to Knighton. Accommodation en-route has been booked, so watch this space for the next edition of Angie's Offa's Dyke adventure.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder what that thigh muscle pain was all about? You surely walk often enough to have leg muscles well used to proper exercise! I hope it was a mere one-off.

    It's a great part if the world for views and inspiring scenery, as your photos reveal.

    Naturally the references to knobs and willies was over my head. I do know that there is a Midlands word 'tump', meaning hillock or mound, which must be related to the Welsh 'twmp'.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete