Wednesday 11 November 2020

A spectacularly colourful lockdown

I'm getting rather good at lockdowns. Effortlessly, I've resumed my former practice of going for a long(ish) walk every two days, and fussing around the house on the other day.  No monotony; something to look forward to each day.  And, as in the last lockdown, the weather is being kind – so kind that my central heating doesn't even switch itself on in the mornings. 

With each passing day the autumn beauty of the Forest of Dean intensifies. Time and again it stops me in my tracks and makes me reach for my camera. 


Here I am, early in Autumn, with my friend Bridget's faithful dog Skipper. I would never want a dog of my own, but Skipper is gorgeous. Every time he sees me arriving at Bridget's home he runs to greet me, for the arrival of Angie inevitably means walkies!

Not all these photos are from 'Skipper Walks', but I think he features once more.

Near Moseley Green

Near Central Bridge, on the former Mineral Loop of the Severn & Wye Railway. 

Further along the Mineral Loop

Blackpool Brook

Mallards Pike lake

Blakeney Hill Woods

Blakeney Hill Woods again. 
Is that Skipper in the middle distance? Hard to tell.

As we made our way down through the Woods, Bridget and I began to reminisce about (of all things) the Church of England's old Prayer Book Evensong, which I haven't sung for many a long year. Unprompted, I started off the singing...

O Lord, open Thou our lips
and our mouth shall show forth thy praise.
O God, make speed to save us.
O Lord, make haste to help us.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be; world without end. Amen
Praise ye the Lord.
The Lord's Name be praised.

Anyone hearing us would doubtless have diagnosed insanity, but we didn't care. On autumn days like these one may well feel the need to thank somebody.


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, those Blakeney Woods shots were especially good. I must see what Ashdown Forest has to offer. It's not quite what I would call 'local' in the lockdown sense, and the 'forest' bit means only small woods and lots of open bracken in an area only half the size of the Forest of Dean, but nevertheless there should be plenty of autumn colours there.

    As for chanting Evensong as you walked along, surely the trees made a natural cathedral?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete