Tuesday 20 October 2020

Climbing The Skirrid while I still could

Amid the COVID lockdowns and regulations that so dominate our lives, it occurred to me recently that I haven't walked in the wonderful Brecon Beacons for over a year. Several weeks passed when I could have rectified this deficiency but other pursuits – such as holidays and celebrating our Golden Wedding Anniversary – understandably took priority.  

On Monday morning my Covid Symptons Study app (which tends to anticipate the 'official' data) showed a higher prevalence of COVID in Monmouthshire than in the neighbouring no-go areas of Newport and Torfaen. Added to this, rumours of an impending all-Wales lockdown finally motivated me to grasp the opportunity while it was still there, so yesterday we set off into Monmouthshire to climb The Skirrid.

We last climbed The Skirrid on a gloriously sunny day in May 2017 (see here). Yesterday's weather wasn't so great, with mist lying low in the valley, but at least a cool wind made climbing easier. With few stops to cool down and gain breath we made it to the top in 40 minutes.


The Skirrid is one of those deceptive climbs that can trick one into thinking that the summit is near. I thought I was nearly there when I snapped this photo, but there's another summit beyond this one. I recall Cat Bells, in the Lake District, being similarly deceptive.


Here's proof that I finally made it to the top. We found a sheltered spot near the summit to eat our picnic and check the BBC news app.  As predicted, the Welsh government had just announced a total Welsh lockdown, starting on Friday evening. We had chosen to come just in time.


The view south, back down the mountain. Abergavenny lies in the misty distance on the right. By now a few rays of sunshine were beginning to pierce through the clouds. 


This photo from 2017 shows the 'split' that gives The Skirrid its name. Explanations abound (see my previous Skirrid post) but in truth its the result of an ice-age land slip. There are several other such landslips on nearby hills, but none so dramatic as this one.


A very steep path descends from the northern end of The Skirrid, joining this pleasant one around the mountain.  Here, I'm walking in the famous 'split'.  The flat stone behind me has an interesting history.


It's known at The Devil's Table. The Devil figures in one of the myths about the 'split', and in the late 1800's a resourceful guy capitalised on this by living nearby as a wizard and encouraging folk to place money on the stone in exchange for magic spells. 


Finally, as the mist began to clear, Sugar Loaf Mountain was clearly visible on the opposite side of the valley.


2 comments:

  1. Your discription of False Summits reminds me of climbing The Worcestershire Beacon from The Witch Cutting

    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shots are tempting me to climb Skirrid next time I'm pitched in the vicinity, if only for the view. In easy stages, of course, and with a stout stick!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete