Saturday 9 May 2020

Street Party for VE Day + 75

After almost 8 weeks of lock-down the 75th Anniversary of VE Day was greeted with great enthusiasm by Angie and her neighbours.

So much had been planned for this weekend – concerts, street parties, church services... – and all had been cancelled. So when an invitation for a Lock-Down Street Party landed on our doormat, we just had to be part of it.  "Place a table and chairs outside your house," said the invitation. "Make your own picnic food and have a few drinks." It wouldn't be the same as a real street party, of course, but would surely be a long-remembered, unique event.

Buying a 'shop' cake would not, I reasoned, be in the spirit of the day, for there can't have been many cakes in the shops in 1945. However, with only hours to go before the party, I realised that there was no caster sugar in the kitchen cupboard, so it would have to be Demerara. A tablespoon or two of strong coffee should turn it into a nice coffee cake, so that's what it would be.


Though I say it myself, I do make a decent sponge cake, though it's hardly rocket science – just 3 eggs, 6oz of self-raising flour, 6oz of sugar and a good whisk. Wish I'd taken longer with the icing, though. Not that it mattered – it was all gone by sundown.


You'll notice that we spent much of the afternoon taking photos of one another... whilst keeping a safe distance away, of course.

It's worth remembering that all this jollity did have a serious side. The joy of emerging from lock-down for one sunny afternoon is a pale shadow of the elation our parents and grandparents must have felt on Tuesday May 8th 1945, after being 'locked down' in bloody war for six years.  I envy their freedom to celebrate in crowds, but not what they'd been through.






1 comment:

  1. I sat out in my next door neighbours' front garden, guzzling white wine (my first drink for weeks) in the sunshine, and observing correct social distancing of course. Other neighbours drank their own within speaking distance.

    No food, no cake, but that didn't matter. Actually, I have no baking skills whatever.

    I can't say it was a total knees-up, but it was jolly all the same. And somehow I avoided having a colossal hangover!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete