Saturday 7 December 2019

FUN in Gloucester


My loyal reader has contacted me, concerned about my long absence from blogging. Truth be told, I find it harder to write moderately interesting posts in the winter as life is apt to become somewhat routine, with no interesting new rambles to describe.  Today, however, was far from 'routine' and such good fun that I'm still buzzing 7 hours later.

FUN stands for Friends UkeNited – a gathering of ukulele players from clubs throughout Gloucestershire, and sometimes beyond. Today we congregated in Gloucester city centre to help the local Rotary Club raise money from their many good causes.

We were still getting ready to sing when this photo was taken.
As you can see, Santa hats were much in evidence. I'm standing on the right, next to a lady in red trousers. As well as my favourite little Santa hat, I'm sporting my Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer jumper, but unfortunately its hidden behind my pink music folder, pink coat and pink scarf. It was quite cold out there!

Under Terry's inspirational leadership, we made Gloucester rock with Christmas favourites such as Jingle Bells, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Frosty the Snowman and (of course) Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody.  My favourites, though, were Dominic the Donkey and Must Be Santa. If you don't know the first of those then look it up on You Tube – it's hilarious. As for the second, it's an old Bob Dylan number, but unlike anything else I've ever heard him sing. And what could be better than to hear it for yourselves? Thank you, Katie, for posting this one.


1 comment:

  1. I am sure you have more than just one faithful reader, Angie!

    The video was very entertaining - a real foot-tapping, hand-clapping occasion. I was surprised how loud an orchestra of ukuleles can be. My cousin Rosemary tells me that she's now taken up the instrument, and loves it, so Kent will soon have an extra strummer, although whether she intends to do precisely what you do remains to be seen.

    I wish I had a glimmer of musical ability, but sadly I haven't any. It's a gift you either have, or have not.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete