Saturday 18 May 2019

Blaize Bailey and Lower Soudley


The first time I saw the stone platform of Blaize Bailey I thought it must be one of those viewpoints beloved of Victorian and Edwardian travellers – you know, the sort of place where servants were left to tend the carriages and prepare a picnic while the gentry ambled down to admire the view. I was wrong.  It was actually constructed with stone from an old bridge on the Parkend - Coleford railway, and that didn't close until 1967.

The view over a great meander of the River Severn is impressive, though perhaps not as much as it once was. According to a couple of websites, on a fine day it's supposed to be possible to see Newnham on Severn (at the centre of the meander, nearest the camera) and Gloucester Cathedral (off to the left) but that must have been before the trees were so tall.

Blaize Bailey was the first stop on a pleasant 4 mile stroll that I completed earlier this week. From there I followed a broad forest track before dropping down into the lovely valley of Soudley Brook.


At one point the footpath runs between two halves of a garden.  The owner has constructed this little bridge between them.


I'm approaching Lower Soudley now.  I know that horse!... but that's a story for another day.


This view from my friend Bridget's driveway has changed enormously over the years. These days it is lush and green.  Back in the 1880's it looked like this...



The left-hand map shows the Great Western Iron Works in 1881. By 1901 (the right-hand map) it has all but disappeared.


A few stone walls; almost the only remains of the great Iron Works


The old railway tunnel under Fernbrake Hill (on the right of the maps).


For the next part of the walk I had a 'free' look into the Dean Heritage Centre. I've included this photo to show my friend Lucy that we too have gruffalos!


I'm almost back to my starting point now. This is one of the Soudley Ponds, where I often come with Bridget to walk her dog and admire the wildlife.


 To end, here's a photo of some mandarin ducks on the pond, from an earlier visit.



5 comments:

  1. I must get out of the garden more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Photos not sure i like the idea of a vuue point from an old bridge it might be needed again
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julliette, if they ever want to use that old line again they'll have a lot more to replace than one bridge.

      Delete
  3. How green the Forest of Dean is! And how quickly Nature hides industrial scars and reclaims the land.

    I think your Gruffalo looks a lot more realistic than the one I found!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "realistic" gruffalo -- now there's an interesting concept. Perhaps when you're next in these parts I'll take you for a closer inspection. Yes indeed; that would be fun.

      Angie

      Delete