Tuesday 26 February 2019

Hello Matilda Quartus, goodbye Vodafone

Every couple of years, when the contract expires, I succumb to temptation and sign up for a new smartphone.  Like its three predecessors, the latest one is called Matilda.  I blogged about the others here in 2017.

My Sony E5 has served me well; so well in fact that I now never take a conventional camera with me on walks. But over the past two years phone technology has marched on, so when the time came to search for a new one, I had a list of things to aim for.
  • Screen size 5½-6 inches. That extra ½ inch or so really does improve readability with my ageing eyes.
  • EE network. I've remained loyal to Vodafone for the best part of 8 years but reception isn't great in my corner of Lydney. I've done my research and EE is definitely the best around here.
  • A good camera. The Sony was a great improvement on the Samsung that went before it, but even my partner S's low-cost LG phone now out-performs it in challenging light conditions.
  • At least 32GB internal storage. The E5's 16GB has proved to be too small, limiting the number of memory-hungry apps I could install and limiting performance. 
I've never felt the need to buy premium smartphones, contenting myself with models that were considered top of the range a year or two ago.  However, the one I chose this time is a little different – a recently released upgrade of an older model.  It's a Huawei P Smart 2019. It has a 5¾ inch screen, 32GB of internal memory and, thanks to being bought from the Gloucester EE shop, is on the right network. A pleasant surprise was that I got 10% off the normal price of £18/month as S's phone is also with EE.

My first task was learning how to say Huawei. Hoo-wee?  Hah-wee? The guy in the EE shop pronounced it 'Hoo-wah-wee' and I believed him.  But now I know better; it's 'Wah-way' and (according to Wikipedia) means 'splendid act' or 'China is able'.  Really, I never had this problem with Samsung or Sony!

It's early days but I'm pretty confident that the camera will out-perform the Sony's. It has a feature called 'AI' (Artificial Intelligence), which I'm still learning how to use.  Basically, the camera recognises what's it's shooting and adjusts itself accordingly. So, for instance, when I took these photos in the Brecon Beacons yesterday, the camera recognised 'blue sky' and appears to have increased the saturation.

Without AI

With AI
AI will also recognise close-up subjects, such as a person or flower, and blur the background so as to make the subject stand out. I haven't tried that one yet but here's a publicity shot to illustrate it:


Finally, the really good news is that I now have reliable network reception in my home. So, at long last, I can stop using the land-line phones to make calls, cancel the 'Any Time Calls Boost' with Talk Talk and save myself £10/month. That more than compensates for the extra cost of Matilda Quartus over her predecessor.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you have now got good reception and cheeper too
    Why Matilda or have you explained it before
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called our old satnav Matilda because some of its instructions were verging on the insane. When I ditched it in favour of a satnav app on a smartphone the name stuck. In truth, the two satnav apps I now have are - Google Maps and Co-Pilot - are pretty good. Here's a bit of the poem that inspired the name...

      Matilda told such Dreadful Lies,
      It made one Gasp and Stretch one’s Eyes;
      Her Aunt, who, from her Earliest Youth,
      Had kept a Strict Regard for Truth,
      Attempted to believe Matilda:
      The effort very nearly killed her,
      And would have done so, had not she
      Discovered this Infirmity.

      Google will find you the complete poem, if you're interested.

      Angie

      Delete
  2. Matilda seems to rival Dr Who for reincarnations! Huawei seems to be the popular choice nowadays if you want a super-capable Android smartphone but baulk at Samsung's prices. I do like the way those photos have been rendered.

    Tigerlily, my Samsung Galaxy S8+ from 2017, will have to keep going for another two years. She will however be fully paid for in July, and after that I'll go SIM-only for a couple of years. Vodafone does pretty well in rural Sussex, so I stick with them.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete