Thursday 1 September 2016

Bosherston and Stackpole

A few weeks ago I let it be known that I would soon be holidaying in West Wales. “You really must go to Bosherston and Stackpole,” declared my ukulele-playing friend Cherry. “You love walking, so you're sure to enjoy it.” Another friend agreed and gave me a sheet about Bosherston from her old copy of No Through Road. After that, there really was no doubt about it; I would be visiting Bosherston!

The landscape around Bosherston Ponds was created in the late 1700's by the Earl of Cowdor, a Scottish peer whose family have been connected with this part of West Wales since the 17th Century. The family's stately home at Stackpole was built on a grand scale — rather too grand as it turned out, as it became prohibitively expensive to maintain and was demolished in 1963. However, the parkland that the good earl created lives on, now under the care of the National Trust.

From the NT car park in Bosherston I made my way around Bosherston's Lily Pond, crossing two long foot bridges that only have a handrail on one side – perfectly adequate until one tries to pass some rotund individual who is clinging hard to the rail! Thankfully, I survived without a ducking and continued on my way towards Broad Haven beach and Stackpole Warren.

NB. This is not the rotund individual mentioned in the text!
Broad Haven Beach
In a brave attempt to maintain my Slimming World eating plan, lunch of 2 Ryvitas, ½ a tub of cottage cheese and a peach was consumed on the warren, overlooking Church Rock.


I then continued along the cliff path, over Barrfundle Beach and on to Stackpole Quay, where I ruined it all by buying a very, very yummy double ice cream cornet. Well I am on holiday!

Barafundle Beach
The short overland walk back to Bosherston was interrupted with a diversion to see The Devil's Quoit. In my native Cornwall, quoits are usually impressive neolithic burial sites... but not this one. All the Devil had to offer was this standing stone. I gave it a hug and thanked the devil for his modest efforts before heading back over Eight-Arch Bridge to the car park.

The Devil's Quoit - rather huggy and friendly.

Eight-Arch Bridge
I reckon that this circular walk, including the diversion to The Devil's Quoit, was about 5½ miles long, so quite a gentle day's stroll. If ever I'm in the district again, I shall definitely return and perhaps extend the walk along the coast to Freshwater East.  There is also a network of paths in the woods, near the old stately home, that might be good to explore.


5 comments:

  1. Every time I have been to Wales it rained, how have you managed actual summery weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rained at night a couple of times. Will that do? :)

      Delete
  2. I think she takes it with her
    Two lovely Welsh posts Angie
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely must see this area again next year!! The last time was 1998, way too long ago.

    One mile south of Bosherston are is St Govan's Chapel and, further along the cliffs, the impressive chasm called Huntsman's Leap. Did you visit those?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no, we missed both of those by walking in the opposite direction from Bosherston. Next time, maybe.

      Delete