Monday 20 July 2015

Rwyf wedi ymuno Cadw

I have joined Cadw.  Cadw (pronounced cardoo) is the Welsh equivalent of English Heritage and Historic Scotland.

Chepstow Castle is but a few miles along the road from my home and a wonderful place to take grandchildren, with its towers, battlements, dungeons and more to explore, and its fine views over the River Wye.  For a senior citizen, such as my good self, it costs a mere £3.40 to get in, but on Saturday I grabbed an even better offer — joint membership with S- for £34.00. That's £10 off the normal price, and compares nicely with £63 for English Heritage. 

There is a catch, though not a serious one.  For the first year, our membership only gives us half-price entry to English Heritage and Historic Scotland sites but, after that, admission is free.  And it'll still be about £20 cheaper than EH to renew.  All in all, pretty good value for money, I reckon. Chepstow Castle (or perhaps I should start calling it Castell Cas-gwent) really is a gem on our doorstep, so it will be nice to drop in whenever I wish, and take friends there too for a modest cost.



Finally, three photos from my last visit, with Aunt Sarah. She got in for free with her English Heritage card; next time I will too.




4 comments:

  1. I went to Chepstow Castle last April, on a sunny day out with a very nice lady called Ann. It's all you say, a great place for children, despite the vertiginous river views!

    Odd coincidence to have two Welsh-language post titles showing up in my blog list. (See Jenny's post under 'Large Blooming Flower')

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, and I was going to suggest that we went to Chepstow on your next visit, and to a rather nice pub across the road.

      I toyed with writing the title to this post in Cornish, but the online resources are nothing like as good as for Welsh. I did, however, find the Cornish for "My hovercraft is full of eels," which may prove useful one day.

      Delete
  2. Purely coincidence, I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was going to be a post about scrabble... All those mixed up letters.

    ReplyDelete