Saturday 25 April 2015

All through the night

Had you predicted, last September when I enrolled on a Beginners' Ukulele Course, that I would make it to the advanced level two terms later, I'd probably have laughed. I would also have told you that I had no plans to progress beyond simple strumming and learning a handful of basic chords — sufficient to impress my uke-playing son, but no more. And had you thus predicted, you would have been right and I very wrong.

Yes, my ukulele lessons have recommenced, and I'm astonished to be on the Advanced Course.  The basics of ukulele playing have been learned and now it's time to consolidate those skills and tackle some more demanding pieces — a new one each week. In preparation, and in an attempt to get a bit of a head start, I bought a book of fingerstyle solos and have been learning a couple during the Easter break.  'Fingerstyle', by the way, entails the playing individual notes of a song, and not just the chords. I began with that classic piece, beloved (or is it 'loathed'?) of all budding ukulele players — Twinkle, twinkle, little star, then progressed to my favourite, so far, the Welsh song Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night).  I've even added a few notes of my own to the published arrangement. Impressive, or what?
The first line of Ar Hyd y Nos with 'improvements' at my own fair hand
Practicing All Through the Night (read that
either way you wish).  The bottle in the
background is already empty.  'Nuff said!
So far, only three of us from last term's Improvers' Course have joined this one.  That's a big disappointment, as I'd grown used to them, formed a couple friendships and stopped worrying what they all thought about me.  This group is very different, as was evident even before the lesson started. When I arrived, a couple of guys were twanging their ukes very expertly, and definitely with far more finesse than my faltering attempts at All through the night.  Indeed, most of the group appear to be doing the course for at least the second time, or have already honed their skills elsewhere. One lady was even being congratulated on performing a solo piece at a local pub over the Easter break.  All extremely daunting, and my confidence took an immediate knock. I also felt that they were sizing me up and wondering what to make of me. Thankfully, though, Matt (our tutor) opened by explaining that, as three of us had come from the Improvers' Course, he would be taking things steadily and not assuming too much prior knowledge. Phew!

Perhaps being plunged into a group of clever folk will do me good, once I calm my nerves and settle to it.  As Matt often reminds us, he can only teach so much. The rest is down to us, with lots and lots of practice. If I'm to catch up that lot, it'll probably have to be all through the night!



5 comments:

  1. Whatever your skill level, Angie, your ukulele is a lovely shade of blue!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you! I must admit you've come on in great strides since you first took up the instrument Angela. Now I see the instrument itself (you couldn't actually miss it could you?) I am amazed you can play it, it looks very small and difficult to even hold. I don't think I could get my fingers positioned in the right places! When you first mentioned your intentions to learn to play I thought you would be using a larger instrument. As you know, there are larger Ukuleles available. I have a small Mandolin, similar in size to your Uke and haven't been able to master it, though I will say I didn't dedicate myself to the task. I have given up trying. You could have it if I could get it to you. I'm sticking with the guitar....LOL

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have your mandolin, if I wanted? That is a very tempting offer, Shirley Anne. There's a problem, though. Although, like a ukulele, a mandolin has 4 strings, they are tuned to G D A & E, whereas a uke is tuned to G C E & A - what's known as re-entrant tuning as the notes don't go up in order of pitch. Hence, I'd have to learn new chords, which is perhaps a step too far for this old bird. Now if ever you came across a concert ukulele (one size up from my soprano uke) that you didn't want, that would be a different story!

      Yes, the tiny soprano ukulele can be a bit of a squeeze for my fingers but on the plus side, I don't have to stretch too far for most chords.

      xx

      Delete
    2. Another thought... I wonder how a mandolin might sound if tuned like a ukulele?

      Delete
    3. Not strictly true Angela, the way a Mandolin is strung can depend on its size for some are tuned 'upside down' to the way a guitar is but larger instruments can be strung just like a guitar. Another quaint feature is that some have double strings like a twelve string guitar has but each pair of strings is tuned to the same tone. My Mandolin is such an instrument, eight strings, four pairs and strung upside down, If you did take it you would certainly have to learn the different chord shapes. I have a picture of it taken a few years ago in a room being used for storage at that time. It stands alongside the guitar for comparison. I have posted it on my blog so that you can see it. I will remove the post when you've seen it

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete