Thursday 23 January 2014

Abnormal Result

Every two years, people in my age group are regularly invited to take a test for bowel cancer.  It's all wonderfully simple.  You do it yourself in the privacy of your home and post off a few small samples of poo, which are then tested for traces of blood that are invisible to the naked eye. 2% of tests will yield a positive result and this will trigger an investigation to find out what is causing the bleeding.

My test last week was inconclusive, so I was invited to do a re-test.  Today I learned that this second result is abnormal, so I've been called into Gloucester Royal Hospital for a consultation, which will probably lead to a colonoscopy.

The letter I was sent clearly states that most abnormal results are not caused by cancer.  The statistics break down something like this:
  • 50% of those having a colonoscopy will have a normal result.
  • A further 40% will have polyps, which are then removed as this reduces the likelihood of cancer developing in the future.
  • The remaining 10% will be found to have cancer. 
So there's a 90% chance that I don't have bowel cancer.  And if I do, early detection will have greatly increased the probability that it can be successfully treated.

But the statistics can be run the other way round. 17-20% of UK citizens will develop bowel cancer at some stage in their lives.  So, since only 10% of abnormal results are cancerous, the chances of an abnormal result at some stage in ones lifetime must be pretty high.  I'll leave others to work out the mathematical probability.  


6 comments:

  1. I do hope your results will prove negative Angela. Even if that isn't the case it might not even be cancer as you suggest and in any case uyou would hopefully have it sorted quickly. Best wishes for a good result.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much for your good wishes, Shirley Anne.

      xx

      Delete
  2. Good wishes for a happy result to the further tests. You've also reminded me I have a testing kit at work in my in-tray where it arrived among Friday's post. I suppose I need to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely to know that you're still following my mad exploits, Mel, and thank you for your good wishes. I've recently heard of one person who's too frightened to do the test and another who considers it too 'dirty', but I'm sure you're far more sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were on the original trials for these tests as was a friend we did not see as regularly as in the past then one day he was on the evening news being interviewed about how the test saved his life. A fairly routine op gave him another ten years or so until his heart gave up... Better to be a bit messy and alive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mess really doesn't bother me. Call me weird if you must, but I found it quite interesting, picking over each stool for a couple of samples. Sweetcorn husks, grape skins and the like were clearly visible.

      Delete