Sunday 14 November 2021

Rockin' in the Aisles

It's been a long, long Covid Winter – more than 18 months long – with no opportunities for gigging with my ukulele-playing friends in the Ukes uv Azzard. 'Spring' dawned in the middle of July, when we were invited to play on Chepstow Bandstand, though sadly there was no-one on hand to take usable photographs. Since then, the group has had a couple of engagements, though I was unable to join them.

One that I had absolutely no intention of missing took place last Saturday night – my first chance since lockdown to gig indoors with my friends. The venue was Hope Mansell Church – a tiny building with a huge welcome, at the end of a long and bumpy lane.  Not all the Azzards could make it, but those of us who did soon had the old building ringing to the sound of Blue Suede Shoes, Jackson, Under the Moon of Love and lots more of our favourite songs. And when it came to Sweet Caroline everyone seemed to join in, waving arms in the air and singing out "so good, so good, so good."  What fun we all had!


In these photos by Steve, I'm the one on the left with the white cardigan. 


2 comments:

  1. We haven't been to Hope Mansell together, Angie. I'd like to go sometime, because the place featured in my A Level Geography course back in the late 1960s. I think it's an eroded dome?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. With your love of church buildings, I'm sure that you would also enjoy seeing inside Hope Mansell's tiny church. When we have a definite date, I'll try to arrange access if it's not left unlocked.

      Delete