Wednesday 29 September 2021

Mediterranean Blue Seas and a bird for Cornwall

During the 15 days of our holiday in south-west Ireland we had just one day of rain. Considering the Emerald Isle's reputation for wet weather, we counted ourselves blessed indeed. Wednesday 5th September (the day before it rained) was exceptional – 27° in the shade and hardly a breath of wind. We drove up to the Kerry Ring then headed round to Derrynane Bay, for an interesting 8km (5 mile) walk, featured in a book we bought before setting out for Ireland – Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way.  

This is Derrynane Bay, viewed from high on the Kerry Ring.

Turning the camera to the left brings Abbey Island into full view, with its sandy beach. On the skyline are the mountains of the Beara Peninsula, somewhat lost in the heat haze. 

The next three photos feature part of the ruined abbey of Abbey Island, said to have been founded by St Finian. Wikipedia lists three St Finians who are associated with Ireland. I think this one must have been Crooked St Finian (St Finian Cam), so named because he either stooped or had a squint. As I clambered around his island, I found myself irreverently singing the song about the crooked little man who, with his entourage, lived in a crooked little house.



From the abbey a track known as the Mass Path weaves its way along the coastline, towards a little harbour.  This is the route devout worshippers in centuries gone by would have taken in order to celebrate Mass in the abbey. As we walked along, the calm sea to our left looked even more blue and inviting that before. Why ever did I not bring a swimming costume?


Back near our starting point I was in for a treat – two large black birds hopping about in the short grass. A pair of crows, perhaps? No, these had red beaks, which could mean only one thing – they were choughs. Their distinctive chawk confirmed it.

I've only ever seen choughs once before, and that was about 10 years ago near Lands End. For many years they were all but extinct in Cornwall, which was a great, great pity since they are our national bird, depicted on Cornish crests and coats of arms.

More recently, numbers have been rising again, so I'm hopeful that I'll live to see more Cornish Choughs.  Until that day, though, I'm delighted to have seen a couple of their Irish cousins and been close enough to photograph them.


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous scenery, Angie. I simply must put this part of Ireland on my list of places to go to.

    I'm sure I saw a chough at Bude back in 1983 during my honeymoon. It wasn't necessarily a Cornish chough - it could have popped by from nearby Devon.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete