Saturday 1 August 2020

COVID-19 Negative

A couple of weeks ago a letter landed on my doormat from Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI, inviting me to take a COVID-19 test.  It informed me that I'd been randomly selected and that taking part was purely voluntary.  My little brother thought I should decline as a false positive result would lock me down for a week and my partner for a fortnight. However, I took no persuasion to be public-spirited and accept the invitation.

The swab test pack duly arrived, together with a clearly illustrated instruction leaflet.  My first task was to book a courier collection of the test kit, then do the test before 8am on the morning of collection.  That was simple – they would collect it on the following day, so I set my alarm for 7am.

Taking a throat sample looked simple on paper: 
"Holding the swab in your hand, open your mouth and gently rub the swab over both tonsils and the back of the throat five times, for about 10 seconds... IMPORTANT: this may be uncomfortable and you may feel like gagging.

It was anything but simple in practice and, as the instructions warned, I retched as soon as the swab touched the back of my mouth.  Whether I managed 10 seconds I know not, but somehow I did succeed in gently wiping the swab five times (I think).



After that, taking a nasal swab was relatively easy. I sealed the sample in its biohazard bag and return box, then popped it into the fridge to await the arrival of the courier. The whole process had left me feeling nauseous and not really ready for breakfast, but thankfully the smell of fresh coffee quickly revived me.

The email, when it arrived, came as a relief, but not a surprise.  Indeed, I'd have been gobsmacked to have tested COVID-19 positive as prevalence of the virus is low in my area, and I'm always very careful when I leave home. 

If invited, would I do it again? Without doubt, YES – regardless of the discomfort. Having spent much of my working life in Research & Development, I'm strongly supportive of all efforts to monitor and understand this ghastly virus. Consequently, I also had no hesitation in enrolling in another interesting and valuable research project – the King's College London COVID Symptom Study.


Every morning, 6 days a week, I answer two simple questions:
1) Is my list of COVID tests still correct (or have I ever had one)?  If it's not correct, I'm asked to enter the results of a new test.
2) Do I feel physically normal?

On the 7th day there are a few extra questions:
3) How many times have I been out of my house, having little contact with others?
4) How many times have I been out of my house, in close proximity to other people – in shops, supermarkets, etc?
5) How many times have I visited a hospital or doctor's surgery?

From the screen shots above you'll see that over 4 million of us are currently contributing data, including 1403 in the Forest of Dean, where the prevalence of COVID is currently 391 per million (0.039%). Other data, freely shared on the Zoe app, make fascinating reading and are frequently at variance with the government's figures (doubtless because the daily sample is so much greater).  Here's a snippet from the report for 30th July:

According to the latest COVID Symptoms Study app figures, there are currently 2,110 daily cases of COVID in the UK... The latest figures were based on the data from 13,063 swab tests.

The latest figures suggest that the number of new cases in the UK population is currently stable, as the number has remained at around the 2000 mark for the past few weeks.  The data also highlights that the surge in numbers that was seen in the North of England has now stopped.

That last sentence is especially interesting, given the latest government data from the Northwest. I await the next Zoe update with interest. 


2 comments:

  1. Now that was a seriously interesting post, Angie.

    I won't now be looking forward to being tested. (Although I have no tonsils to tickle, they were snipped out, clean as a whistle, when I was seven)

    That app looks worthwhile though! And it sounds as if its results are to be trusted.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired, and wanting to provide good data if it will improve matters, I've now installed the ZOE app, committed myself to a daily update, and even agreed to undergo a test as you have.

    Ah,the power of blogging!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete