Monday 6 January 2020

Rejoining Slimming World

This is a post I had hoped never to write.

Back in July 2016 I joined Slimming World. By December 21st, and just in time for Christmas, I surpassed my target weight of 11st:6lb. I had lost 32lb and was justifiably feeling very pleased with myself.

That evening I was treated to a meal at an Italian restaurant. Since that date I've never been 11st:6lb again!

Slimming Word have an excellent scheme that encourages target members to attend Slimming World sessions free of charge, so long as they stay within +/-3lb of their target weight. However, my local group had closed the week before I achieved my target. I went along to another group to claim my certificate but came away with tears in my eyes, intensely missing the support of my Slimming World friends and more than a little pis**d off. I vowed to go it alone.

For the following 18 months or so I managed to keep my weight around the top of the '+3' band, but then it began to creep up. By the Spring of 2019 the new 'norm' was 12st:3lb, then it became obstinately stuck around 12st:7lb for most of the summer. With Yuletide excesses about to commence, I recorded a weight of 12st:9lb.  Little wonder, then, that when I jumped on the scales this morning, my weight was a disgraceful 13st:0½lb.  I promptly rejoined Slimming World!

The thought of my chosen group closing again at the critical moment was just too ghastly to contemplate, so this time I've gone for On-Line membership. In doing so, I shall deny myself the camaraderie and support of group members, and there'll be no Slimmer of the Week and Slimmer of the Month awards to fire my enthusiasm. I'm hoping, though, that the simple act of having to fork out £20 a month will keep me on the Straight & Narrow Way.

One 'plus' is that I once more have access to the Slimming World food database and their smartphone app, on which to record my progress.


Disappointingly, I couldn't revive my old membership number so, as far as Slimming World is concerned, I'm a new inexperienced member. O well.

There is, of course, no justifiable reason why I could not have simply resumed the Slimming World diet. I have all the information; I know what to do. But, weak-willed woman that I am, simply knowing has failed me.

Back in 2016, getting from 13st to my target weight took 18 weeks. This time I'll set my target a couple of pounds higher, so let's see what happens. With determination and a following wind I should arrive, fit and slender, in mid-May.


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck, Angie.

    That regaining of weight after leaving the SW group happened to me, and I've added a stone to my best weight, and now hover around thirteen and half stone. I have never deviated from SW principles, nor detailed record-keeping, but I would probably do better if I rejoined. The snags are the £20-odd a month, and the loss of an evening - I'm so reluctant to spend money and time on this again.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Angie . Even with all your walking.
    Recently lost a little weight myself but nowhere near your achievemens
    Sorry about the lack of Emails the address that I use for you is playing up. so I will wish you a happy new year here.
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete