Sunday 10 March 2019

A disappointingly insignificant 'new look'

old                                                                             new
Can you spot the difference? I don't mean the smile, the hair flipping over my left cheek or the crooked triquetra.  I have a new pair of spectacles, which I had hoped would be noticeably different to the old ones. However, eight days after I donned them, only my loving spouse has noticed the change... and looking at these photos, I'm not surprised.

I can tell the difference for the world has become a little clearer.  Just over a month ago I had my regular 2-yearly eye test, which revealed a slight deterioration in both my distance and near sight. Though my 4-year old old spectacles would still be adequate, Andrew the optician recommended new ones. Somewhat worryingly, he found that my left eye has changed more than my right and that the pressure in the left was a little high – not seriously so, but he wants to see me again in August.

I have nothing but praise for Andrew, who is always most methodical with his examinations. I was, however, rather taken aback to be told that a new pair of vari-focal specs would cost at least £285.  At home I checked the Boots and SpecSaver websites and was relieved to discover that their prices were at least £100 cheaper. I'm all for supporting independent local retailers, but not when it costs me that much!

old                                                          new
Boots served me well 4 years ago and it was to them that I returned. The frames that I finally chose were less ornate than my old ones, have slightly larger lenses and are 'half rim' – no frame material beneath the lenses.  This, I thought, would make my eyes look more attractive... though, as you can see, the improvement is marginal, to say the least.

To start with, despite the efforts of the lady in Boots, the new specs sat too high on my nose. I was contemplating taking them back but finally solved the problem myself by carefully bending and squeezing the little supports. Now I'm happy, despite the absence of acclaim from other people. Indeed, I'm very happy and look forward to them providing me with several years of clear vision.


2 comments:

  1. It's a simpler design, generally a good thing in my view. And some nice raspberry colouring, too. I'd stick with them unless you are truly disappointed.

    Meanwhile I'd take it as a good sign if nobody is batting an eyelid - the new specs must suit your face, and look very natural to onlookers.

    Mind you, when you recall the problems I had late last year in choosing exactly the right frames, I can hardly talk!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent an age taking photos of different possibilities for new frames and always ended up declaring that I liked my old ones the best. Eventually the opticians phoned their suppliers to see if there were any left in stock from previous years and I was lucky. Nobody had to be asked if they liked my new look...

    ReplyDelete