Friday 2 March 2018

White wine on my cornflakes

Shortly after lunchtime on Thursday Storm Emma met the Beast from the East in the skies over Lydney. Compared with many areas of the kingdom, we escaped lightly from this meteorological dust-up. Nonetheless, the only time I've seen more snow fall in a day was on holiday in Switzerland, and that was many years ago.

By bedtime, Storm Emma's easterly blast had piled up a 3ft snowdrift outside the lounge window. It was also bitterly cold and the central heating was failing to keep room temperatures much higher than 18˚. Fortunately we have a gas fire to supplement the lounge radiators, but when I finally toddled off to bed the only way to keep warm was with a hot water bottle, woolly bed socks and a nice warm spouse. I was grateful for all three!

This morning the snow abated but the roads around Primrose Hill in Lydney were only passable with 4x4s.  Bluebird (our trusty little Hyundai) was left on her driveway and I ventured forth on foot, camera at the ready and with two shopping bags as my veg rack was almost empty. Feeling adventurous, I decided to take a long route to the Co-op via a bit of snowy Forest.



This is Millrough Wood. There were a few animal tracks in the snow but I was the first human to pass this way since the snow stopped falling.

New Mills. I think this one may find its way onto this year's Christmas cards.


Middle Forge

No trains on the Dean Forest Railway today!
I finally made it to the Co-op, which was doing a roaring trade, despite a dearth of cars in their car park. They had sold out of bread and milk, but thankfully the veg shelves were overflowing with all the things I needed. Finally, I picked up a couple of bottles of my favourite New Zealand Cabernet Sauvignon and made for the checkout, where they were bemoaning the lack of milk.

"No problem!" says I as I placed my bottles on the conveyor. "I'm going to have white wine on my cornflakes."


2 comments:

  1. A pity that the Lydney Tesco is a bit to far from you to reach on foot. But no doubt they had run out of milk, too.

    I'm not sure I would have felt confident about even Fiona, with her all-wheel drive and winter tyres, tackling the hills near you. It's worth driving in these icy conditions unless the need is real and pressing.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete