Sunday 18 June 2017

Henrhyd Waterfall

A few weeks ago I ended my Waterfall Country Walk at Sgwd yr Eira.  It features in the June edition of Country Walking and is described with appropriate enthusiasm:
    Here in a corner of the Brecon Beacons defined by tumbling water and deep gorges, is a virtually unique proposition in the United Kingdom: the chance to walk behind a waterfall.
Well, with the greatest respect to Country Walking, and the good folk of Ystradfellte and Pontneddfechan, there is an even better one... and it's only 7½ miles away.

This is Henrhyd Falls, the highest waterfall in the Brecon Beacons.  If you fancy a quick and fairly easy visit, there's a National Trust car park within easy reach, but you wouldn't really expect me to do this one the easy way, would you? Perish the thought!

Your intrepid adventurer parked in Ynyswen, crossed the Avon Tawe and walked up the secluded Nant Llech valley. The National Park Authority and local council have done a brilliant job in making this walk enjoyable for young and old, with several 'audio stops' along the way that describe the history and geology of the area. For me, the most interesting were childhood memories by someone who had grown up in the valley.

The audio stops near the Falls were unresponsive – their batteries presumably run down by much button-pushing. I would like to have shared the ones I heard with you, but the website link doesn't work. Perhaps, one day, someone will get everything working again.


OS map on my smartphone

Nant Llech

Behind Henrhyd Falls
From Henrhyd I climbed the steep path to the car park, then walked northwest, taking the footpath that starts by a radio mast (see map) and heads for Nant-y-ffin.
Open countryside between Henrhyd and Nant-y-ffin
Next, I followed a path high above the Avon Tawe and made my way back to Ynyswen, completing my 5½ mile walk.  The scenery on this return leg wasn't as spectacular as the earlier stretch, but still very pleasant.  And what, I wonder, do you make of this monster? I thought that it looked rather hungry, so crept past very quietly.



No comments:

Post a Comment