Thursday 4 September 2014

Autumn cometh

Speech House Lake
A cool mist hung over the Forest of Dean this morning as I set out on a 7 mile hike. It's what I call 'in between weather' - a bit warm for wearing a cardigan; a bit cool without one. 

Summer is slowly turning to Autumn. Beech and oak trees are leading the way as their leaves turn golden brown, then fall to the ground. Not many yet, but in a few weeks' time the whole forest will be bathed in autumn colours. I wanted to photograph these first signs - another page in my project to record the changing scene throughout a year. 
Intrepid Angie, on a rickety bridge over Blackpool Brook

This time the starting point was Speech House, in the middle of the forest.  From there I walked southeast in an area that I haven't explored before, and soon I arrived at the Speech House Lake. Why had I never been here? This is surely the most beautiful of the forest lakes.  I shared it with a couple of anglers and a party of children, but they were content to stay near the car park. At my end, the misty, moisty morning seemed to impart an extra measure of beauty and solitude.

To the south lay Acorn Patch, which I've already covered in some detail, so I won't bore you by describing the rest of the walk homeward. Instead, I'll let these photos tell their own story.


Beech Trees beginning to turn Autumn gold

I photographed these, confident that there'd be a good crop of sweet chestnuts to collect on my next hike.
Now I look at the leaves, though, I'm not so certain.  O to be an expert!
(ps. A sweet chestnut it is not!  See Ruby's comment (below))
These I do know!  And very tasty they were.

A camera-shy grey squirrel.  When I first saw the little fellow, he was scurrying around on the ground.  However, by the  time I'd switched on the camera, set the focus and zoomed in, he was departing rapidly.

5 comments:

  1. I love this time of year but it gets better for me when Autumn is in full swing in October and November. Today here in Southport it has been just a warm sunny summer's day but there are still the signs of the approaching season, leaves browning and decking the lawn. Clogging up the grids too! LOL

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chestnuts off a beech tree? I have never been able to tell the difference between the edible and non edible chestnut trees, just have to enjoy the change of colours now that there is a distinct chill in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you don't eat the conkers Ruby!

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete
    2. O crumbs, you're right, Ruby - it's a beech tree. Now you know that it's not just the tree that's nuts!

      Delete
  3. Ah, autumn! Down here in Sussex it's still summer during the day, as you will see for yourself very soon. But the evenings are getting darker and cooler.

    I hope the leaves go gloriously yellow and orange and red - a photographer's dream.

    I think you are getting adept at illustrating your posts, Angie.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete