Saturday 21 July 2018

Omega-3: Another health fad bites the dust

It's official – swallowing capsules of fish oil does not reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

I confess that I was rather more surprised when I learned that the Pope was Catholic. Supplementing my diet with 'health giving' pills and potions has never appealed, not least because I hardly ever believe the so-called science behind the claims.  Not that that stopped my parents in my younger days insisting that I downed a nightly dose of Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil (yuk!) or dad swallowing his daily halibut oil capsule. But that was a long time ago.

Interestingly, there was more than a hint in the report that taking Omega-3 capsules may actually harm ones health; not because the capsules are in any way bad for you (far from it) but because they may instil a false sense of security, along the lines of "I've taken my dose of Omega-3 so now I can feast on fatty burgers, crisps, sugar-soaked drinks...."

The researchers were at pains to point out that it was the capsules they were criticising, not the fish. Eating fish, especially oily fish such as sardines and salmon, is good for you, though even then the benefits are hard to quantify. The main one appears to be that, when you're eating fish, you're not eating other foods that may be high in saturated fat.  So the recommendation stands that 2-3 portions of fish every week is a big step towards achieving a healthy, balanced diet.  That one I do believe and I'm pleased to say that, right now, my freezer contains salmon, plaice and fish pie mix, and there are tins of sardines, mackerel and tuna (pole & line caught, of course) in the larder.

All of which will not, I am sure, affect the inflated claims of 'health food' suppliers. Claims like this one, that Omega-3 supplements lower cholesterol, reduce symptoms of PMS, prevent cancer (I'd like to see the proof of that one), reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent diabetes....

Eating a healthy, balanced diet will achieve all those things, and doubtless save money too. Now I wonder what the next fad will be? Rubbing Vicks on your feet, maybe?

You're already doing that?  Really?!


1 comment:

  1. There's a whole 'health foods' industry out there, promoting the benefits of this and that manufactured product, and like you I'm suspicious about the claims, and even if they were true, why should taking pills and capsules nourish you better than a broad, well-balanced diet based on fresh foodstuffs? I suppose astronauts and submariners need these things, but ordinary people don't if they eat sensibly.

    I love fish, eat it every other day at home or in the caravan, with a choice of fresh salmon, trout, sea bass and sea bream. And tinned red salmon too.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete