Tuesday 8 May 2018

Newport Transporter Bridge

At the end of last month Bluebird, my trusty Hyundai I10, was due for her 20,000 mile service so I returned to the garage in Newport from where I'd bought her. Problem – what to do for 2½ hours, while mechanics performed their wizardry.  Solution – walk 2 miles to the Newport Transporter Bridge. It was a Monday and I knew the bridge wouldn't be operating but the expedition seemed preferable to sitting in a garage waiting room or scoffing calorific food at Pizza Express.

On arrival I wandered down a little path on the east side of the river and took this picture, then on my way back made plans to return for a ride on this amazing structure, the like of which I had never seen before.

My plans came to fruition last Sunday morning. There's a visitor centre on the west side of the bridge but I elected to start on the side I'd already visited. I parked Bluebird in Stephenson Street, then climbed the steps to the control room.


The operator was very proud of the machinery under his charge and explained that it was the best job he'd ever had. Enthusiastically, he explained the function of each part, including the Westinghouse rectifiers that convert the incoming electricity to d.c. Then a radio call from the other side told him that it was time start the beasty rolling.


After briefly watching the great drum revolve I retreated to the safety of a platform in front of the control room and watched the gondola approaching, looking comically like a flying fairground, complete with helter-skelter. The tower is actually another control room but it's only used occasionally.



£3 bought me unlimited crossings for a day, with or without Bluebird, so I left her and made the first crossing on foot. What immediately struck me was how smooth and quiet the gondola was. Almost effortlessly we were transported to the west bank. On arrival I eschewed the return ride, plucked up my courage and climbed the 270 steps to the high-level walkway, 164ft above the River Usk.

Half way up. The gondola was looking very small and there was still a long way to go... 
but finally I made it. 

Looking downstream, with Newport Docks on the right

The view upstream, with one of the modern bridges that spelt doom to the
Transporter Bridge as a commercial enterprise.

It was a long way down to the river...

... and a long way to the control room too!
Finally it was Bluebird's turn.






3 comments:

  1. What spectacular pictures! I've visited the Transporter Bridge several times in the last ten years, but have only once (in 2015) been lucky enough to take Fiona across on the gondola. As for walking across, on the high girders, I doubt if I'd dare! You are a brave and fearless woman indeed. I did in fact walk across once, though, when a child, with Dad. I remember being pretty scared! And my hands getting filthy.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, there is a similar transporter bridge across the Tees at Middlesbrough. I took Fiona (then a new car) across that in 2010.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, it was your blog post in May 2015 that inspired this one - so 'thank you!'. Before then I'd never heard of the Newport Transporter Bridge.

    Both S- and I expected to be a bit scared on the high girders but we soon overcame our fears. We actually felt very secure up there and crossed it three times - over on north side, back on the south, then over again on the north to get back to Bluebird. No dirty hands, either!

    ReplyDelete