Tuesday 24 October 2017

Old Maps (1)

Back in the 1970's, on the opposite side of the road to Plymouth Polytechnic, was an Ordinance Survey shop. During lunchtime breaks from my studies I would occasionally wander over and look through their collection of circa 1905 25 inch to the mile maps.

The first one I bought was of the Luxulyan Valley, near St Austell. I knew the area well and in my younger days had cycled over there  a couple of times, exploring the beautiful woodlands and trying to make sense of how a majestic aqueduct, a couple of leats and a ruined waterwheel once fitted together. What purpose did they serve?

My interest in local history and old Ordinance Survey maps had been kindled, and survive to this day. I unearthed some information about the valley in a book about the china clay industry's origins and now at last, with my map, it began to make sense. If you fancy a closer look, click the maps and notice especially the viaduct (actually an aqueduct, 1st map) and the Wheelpit Mill (a waterwheel, 2nd map).

How it looked in 1968: one of the leats (great for playing Pooh Sticks) and the remains of the waterwheel
Carmears Incline in 1968. The waterwheel was used to haul wagons up here from Ponts Mill.

Two shots from 2008 - the waterwheel again, now with lots of water as the feed from the
leat had been restored, and Treffry's impressive aqueduct


Another maps that I bought was this one, again a cycling destination from my younger days. It features the delightfully named Fiddler's Green and Shepherd's Station, on the former branch line from Newquay to Perranporth.


Arguably, it's not a very interesting place – just another wayside station on a forgotten branch line, but the map fascinates me. When I arrived on my bike, all those years ago, the track had been lifted but the station buildings were still intact. I recorded the scene on my Ilford Sportsman camera, then set off down the track of the long-defunct line to Rejerrah and Treamble – the one that curves away to the left. Only later did I discover that it had become a private road to Shepherds Farm!


This is what Shepherds looks like today on Google Maps. The image looked best facing south, so the line to Treamble now curves off to the right.  Shepherds farm has grown considerably and the old station is but a memory.

By the time I crossed the road to that Ordinance Survey shop in 1971 my photos had been lost, so all I have to remind me of that adventure are my map and other folks' photos. Sigh.






1 comment:

  1. It's bad to lose a photo from long ago, and even worse when the loss arises from over-enthusiastic 'weeding' and 'making space', as has happened with my collection of transparencies for the period 1965 to 1980 - half of them were discarded. This was to 'get rid of the poor shots', most of which, had I known it, could have been rescued by scanning and then corrective reprocessing in the digital age. I could kick myself.

    I never 'rationalised' my map collection, and it seems you didn't either. How wonderful to have such large-scale maps to refer to now! (Especially of bits of your favourite part of the world)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete