Saturday 7 October 2017

Free Entry

The enlightened folk of Manx National Heritage have a splendid reciprocal arrangement with several other heritage organisations, including The National Trust, English Heritage, Cadw, Historic Scotland and (would you believe it?) the Cayman Islands.

This was a lovely surprise. Though I knew my little Cadw (Welsh Heritage) card gained me free entry to English Heritage sites, I hadn't expected to use it on the Isle of Man – but use it I did!  All these turned out to be 'free'....

The Laxey Wheel

Rushen Abbey

Castle Rushen (Castletown)

Peel Castle

The House of Manannan

Cregneash Crofting Community
Manx sheep at Cregneash
There were others that we could have visited, but these were more than enough to keep us content for a week's holiday. How much did we save?  Well here are the entry fees for the two of us:

Laxey Wheel  £16
Rushen Abbey  £16
Castle Rushen  £16
Peel Castle  £12
The House of Manannan  £20
Cregneach  £12

TOTAL £92

Cadw membership for a couple of senior citizens cost £31.50 this year, so we are nicely in profit... and will be for a couple of years to come, even without planned visits to Tintern Abbey and Chepstow Castle. Moreover, I can honestly say that I would not have wanted to miss visiting any of these, despite the mist and rain that is all too noticeable in some of my photos.
___________

I said in my last post that this would be the last one from the Isle of Man, but since then I've thought of at least one more. However, before I extol the delights of Peel and Niarbyl, I'll enlighten you about things closer to home.  Stand by for a tall story.




1 comment:

  1. They DO want a lot nowadays by way of admission charges! It's enough to put one off. I suppose they justify it by comparison with alternative attractions - such as a theme park, or the cinema, or some museums and galleries.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete