Friday 29 September 2017

Dhoon Glen and the Manx Electric Railway

Yes, it's another post inspired by my recent holiday on the Isle of Man. One more after this, then I'll find something else for my loyal reader to digest.

I like the Manx Electric Railway; indeed, I like it a lot. It may lack the nostalgic appeal of the island's surviving steam railway, but the ride is much more exciting, especially if, like me, you take it in one of the open 'toast rack' carriages. As you can see, there's a refreshing lack of 'Health & Safety' features on them, whilst the views they afford are wonderful.


It would have been fun to ride the railway from end to end (Douglas to Ramsey) but on this holiday we contented ourselves with boarding at Laxey for a ride over the summit and down to Dhoon Glen station – arguably the most scenic stretch of the line. The next 3 pictures are from S-'s video, so not quite as sharp as my usual ones...


Leaving Laxey, one gets a lovely view of the valley with its ex-Cornish Snaefell Mine waterwheel. Then, emerging from a short cutting, the line runs for several miles along the clifftop.



Here we are nearing the summit of the line, above Bulgham Bay. After this, it descends to the head of the Dhoon Glen, where my next adventure began.


I lifted this photo from the Manx Official Visitors' Website. I hope they don't mind. Despite having cameras that would hold hundreds of photos without filling their memories, I never take enough.


Descending Dhoon Glen is not for the faint-hearted... or rather, coming back up isn't – a 590ft climb in 2 miles. We had, however, been forewarned by a cheerful soul in the pub at Laxey, who told how she had enthusiastically clambered down to the beach before realising, with mounting dread, that she'd now have to climb back up again! I'm pleased to relate, though, that when the time came I shot up it like a young 'un. All that weight loss and walking exercise is still paying dividends.


This is the Dhoon Glen's lovely waterfall, which rejoices in the name Inneen Vooar (Big Girl). Locals will tell you that a young girl once drowned in the pool at its base and that her ghost still haunts the place. I lingered for several minutes, drinking in the scene, but she didn't make her ghostly appearance.

On a happier note, the 19th century poet T.E. Brown was inspired by Inneen Vooar's splendour to write this, though you'll see that there has been a change of gender!...

Leap from the crags, brave boy. 
The musing hills have kept thee long 
but they have made thee strong 
and fed thee with the fullness of their joy 
and given direction that thou might'st return 
to me who yearn 
at foot of this great steep. 
Leap! Leap! 
So the stream lept 
into his mother's arms
who wept
a space


Two big girls! One would have looked more sylphlike had she not wrapped her coat around her middle.


Finally, here is Dhoon Bay.  According to that visitor website, Dhoon Bay, with its amazing rock formations, pebble beach and solitude makes it a perfect destination to explore, relax or even enjoy a peaceful picnic, listening to the sounds of the sea.  I'm not sure that 'perfect' is a word that would readily spring to my mind, but it is a tranquil spot, where one may summon ones energy for the return journey. It's also an excellent place to skim stones across a flat calm sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment