Friday 3 February 2017

To err is human; to really mess things up takes a computer

In the not-too-distant future I need to submit to the surgeon's knife for some non-urgent 'corrective' surgery. The details are unimportant. I saw my GP just before Christmas and, clinical letter in hand, he promised to set the wheels in motion.

On January 3rd a letter arrived from GP Care (catch phrase: great patient care). It informed me that:
    Your referral letter from your GP has been reviewed by our assessment service and you are now invited to make an appointment at your choice of hospital from the list enclosed.

I chose the hospital in my home town at 2pm on 1st February and two days ago obediently turned up for my appointment.  They had no record of it! A rather flustered and apologetic nurse explained that my doctor hadn't sent a referral letter. "But it says on this letter from GP Services that he has," I protested.
"He should have sent it to us," she explained. "Different budget. Without it, we won't get paid."

She also gave me a Feedback and Complaint leaflet, urging me to complain as my input would have more effect than theirs.  Within an hour I'd sent off a courteous but firm email.  An hour later the phone rang: "The email address they gave you is the wrong one," explained the cheerful soul. "We don't deal with outpatient complaints but I'll forward your email."

I also had the good sense to pop into my Health Centre and explain my problems. They promised to sort it all out for me.  True to their word, the phone rang early yesterday:
"Have you had another appointment for today?"
"No"
"It says here that you're booked in today but that the patient doesn't need to be told (!)"
"What shall I do?"
"Don't know.  Pretend I didn't tell you! I'll get back to you."

Yesterday morning the Health Centre rang again.
"Have you had a letter with an appointment for February 14th?"
"No."
"Well you will do.  All appointments for this procedure are now in Cheltenham.  Is that ok?"
"Yes, that's fine. Thanks for your help."

No sooner had I put down the phone that it rang once more. This time is was the correct complaints department. "We've got a new computer system," the lady explained in pained tones. "and it's giving us grief. There have been lots of instances like yours, of people turning up for non-existent appointments."  I sympathised with her and hoped that her troubles would soon be behind her. She deserves better.  We all do.

Now I wonder when that appointment letter will arrive?

Post Script
The letter confirming my appointment for February 14th arrived today (Feb 4th). I suspect, however, thet I may not be out of the woods yet.  It reads:
    Please accept our sincerest apologies but unfortunately it has become necessary to cancel your outpatient appointment on 13th February.  Your new appointment....  Tuesday 14th February at 14:05
But I was never told of an appointment on the 13th.  Perhaps it was another of those for which the patient doesn't need to be informed.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to take over three weeks from a letter being composed by a hospital doctor until the patient gets a copy! health service costs so much because all tha administration is done several times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh! Good luck with the op when it happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a palaver. I haven't had this kind of difficulty in Mid-Sussex. Presumably it's a matter of where you live.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete