Saturday 7 January 2017

The End of the World

Goodbye Slimming World, 
I'm leaving you today; 
goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.
Goodbye all you people, 
there's nothing you can say 
to make me change my mind. 
Goodbye.
(With apologies to Roger Waters: The Wall, 1979)

Just before Christmas I excitedly proclaimed to the world that no only had I achieved my Slimming World target weight, but surpassed it by a pound. I wrote: "With Christmas celebrations looming large, the timing could not have been better."  That wasn't entirely true.

On December 14th my Slimming World group closed – just one week before I was due to hit my target. For several months it had functioned with a superb temporary consultant, who made the 30 mile round trip from her home every Wednesday to be with us. But when she was offered a group in her home town, she understandably accepted and left us.  For a few weeks the group struggled on, covered by consultants from other groups, but it was more than a little obvious that they didn't really relish being there.  It came as no surprise, therefore, when this letter was handed out:
    Dear Member 
    It is with sincere regret that we write to let you know that due to circumstances outside our control, we are having to close your Slimming World group held at Whitecroft Memorial Hall. The last group will take place on Wednesday the 14th December 2016. At Slimming World our aim always is that members receive exceptional service from a caring Consultant, the motivation and support from each other and the fun and inspiration from a group where sharing is key to everyone’s success. When this support network breaks down we understand only too well how unsettling and distressing it can be. We would like to do our utmost to provide you with the same excellent service in another way, we would love for you to attend a group where full Image Therapy is offered, and will do our upmost (sic) to support you to do this. 
    If you would like to transfer to another group, we can provide you with details of your local groups. Please take this letter with you as authorisation that back fees will not be required.....
For the week that I'd so looked forward to, I transferred to a group that met on the same evening, 9 miles from my home. When I arrived they were in party mood and about to sit down to a Christmas meal. They invited me to join them, but I'd already arranged to have my evening meal with S-, so I politely declined. Instead, I weighed, collected my Certificate of Success and left with tears in my eyes.  Oh how I longed for my Slimming World friends from Whitecroft to have been there!

Perhaps illogically, I felt angry with Slimming World for robbing me of my evening of triumph. The week before, a few members of my group expressed their belief that the group had failed because the population of Whitecroft wasn't high enough to support more than one group every week and consultants could earn more elsewhere. Perhaps that's true, but I also felt angry with myself; angry about that week when I'd not lost any weight and two others when I'd only lost ½lb. If only!  If only!!

I've thought long and hard about returning to the group I'd attended on December 23rd.  The welcome from the consultant was as warm as it could possibly have been, and all the more so when I explained that I was a 'Whitecroft exile'. However, I've finally decided to turn my back on Slimming World altogether.
  • The 'new' group I attended meets at 6.30pm. If I stayed for the Image Therapy (group support) sessions, I wouldn't leave until 8pm, so probably wouldn't get home until about 8.30, which is rather late for an evening meal. 

  • Other Slimming World groups meet on other days, but Wednesday is far-and-away the best for me. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays are out of the question as I have other regular commitments. 

  • I could, of course, simply get weighed and skip the Image Therapy, but then I'd lose the support that would be the whole reason for attending.

  • I've just about managed to keep within my Target Weight Range over Christmas; no mean achievement, considering the amount of Christmas Cake, chocolate and plonk that was on offer. If I can stay reasonably focused through that lot then I think I have the self-discipline to maintain a healthy weight.

I realize that this flies in the face of all advice that Slimming World give to new Target Members, but my mind is made up.  Officially, the Whitecroft group has only closed temporarily. If (and it must be a big if) a new consultant can be found, and if the group resumes on the same day and at a convenient time, then I may rejoin. Only time will tell.

Post Script

Re-reading this post, I'm concerned that it may appear rather 'anti-Slimming World'. That was not my intention.  I will always be grateful to Slimming World for the encouragement they gave in getting control of my weight, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Thanks to Slimming World I'm not only slimmer but better looking (my friend assure me!) and healthier than I was 6 months ago. Debra, our consultant for most of my Slimming World journey, has been truly amazing.

Last week I saw my GP about a forthcoming minor operation and took the opportunity to mention that I'd lost a lot of weight. "I had a feeling that you were looking a lot slimmer, Angie, than when I last saw you," he commented. He then checked my blood pressure, which turned out to be an extremely healthy 120/70.  "Absolutely spot-on" was his comment, and he suggested that I cease taking my blood pressure tablet (Lisinopril) and my statin (Simvastatin), then see how my blood pressure reacts. Wow!


3 comments:

  1. What a blow for you, Angie! The sudden loss of a group of people you had come to know and had identified with! The social side of group meetings is not to be underestimated as a motivator for attending and making progress.

    I do think you should reconsider. An evening group shouldn't be a problem. My own group starts at 7.30pm, and I often don't eat that evening until 9.30pm. This IS rather late, but it's only for one evening in the week, and 9.30pm is still well before my normal bedtime. Also, I ensure that I'm eating something quick and easy to cook, such as noodles and a stir-fry.

    I suppose the worst issue is starting all over again, but the unfamiliarity will pass, and you'll maintain continuity, and soon enough get more success. And if the Whitecroft group revives, you can always switch back again.

    Do you know what the other Whitecroft people are now going to do? Where have they gone now?

    Oddly enough my own Thursday-evening group faces a change of consultant, the regular one, Liz, living some distance away and finding it a strain to travel so far. It's a well-attended group and I don't think it will fold, but you never know. So I may yet suffer the kind of disappointment you have felt.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on such a positive result.

    I felt a sympathetic pang when I read this... Could you not create an informal group from the others who have also been let down? I hate social media but perhaps you could keep in touch with them for mutual support through it.

    You have done the hard work, do not let it slip, I know it is far too easy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Whitecroft Facebook group is still open, so in theory we can keep in contact through that. Certainly, if the group restarts, that's where we'll read it first.

      What's actually happened is that my support group has scattered to at least 3 other groups. For those who are still on their weight loss journey this makes perfect sense and I'm sure that most will make new friends. I just don't feel sufficiently motivated to join a group that I'd probably only attend every 3-4 weeks. The one thing that will change my mind is if I can't maintain my weight loss, but fortunately I have several good friends, including one ex-Slimming World member, who are determined not to let me slip back into my old ways.

      Delete