Friday 12 February 2016

I meet such lovely people

Tall trees filter the morning sun 
at Lightmoor
I nearly decided against my regular Thursday walk this week. There was a cold nip in the air, frost on the lawn and the garden pond had frozen over. But the weather forecast looked promising, so I asked S to drop me off at Dilke Bridge, from where I headed south for the 7½ mile hike home.  Well it should have been 7½ miles but, as you will discover, it grew a bit.

You see, you meet such lovely people in the forest. The first was a lady, walking her dog. She pointed to another dog and asked if it was mine. I said that it wasn't, as I patted her own very friendly collie.  "It's walking with a limp. It has no collar or identification and I can't decide what to do." She said that she was a veterinary nurse and felt that she couldn't just do nothing.

We watched the animal for a while, as it wandered down the path ahead of us, towards a couple of houses.  I suggested that it looked well fed and cared for and that we could probably let it find its own way home. "I'll be passing near those houses later in my walk," I explained. "If it's still around, I'll take a closer look." The lady looked relieved, thanked me for my help and we both went cheerfully on our way.



My next stop was Mallard's Pike, where they have public loos – so much more convenient than hiding behind a bush!

Mallard's Pike Lake was looking especially lovely in the winter sunshine.
From Mallard's Pike, I set course for Moseley Green, where I met three guys who were looking around them in a 'lost' sort of way.  "Can you tell us where the tunnel is?" asked one of them. They had a photocopy of an old Ordinance Survey map that I found rather difficult to interpret.  It was time to show off!  Taking out my smartphone, I brought up Ordinance Survey MapFinder and tapped the 'locate' icon, whereupon the display obligingly zoomed in on Moseley Green. I could tell they were impressed – this old girl is clearly no idiot (even if she couldn't read their map). "You see where the road kinks," I said, pointing to the map, "That's just over the tunnel mouth."

We chatted for a couple of minutes about mineral railways and tunnels. It certainly pays to have studied ones own copy of Rails Through the Forest, I mused.  Then, as they thanked me and departed, I had an idea.  I have never seen that tunnel myself, but rather than follow them, I would make my way round to the south end and hopefully get some nice photos.


On my way down to the track bed, I passed the remains of this long derelict Free Mine. One of my friends, who has lived in the Forest for many a decade, remembers when it was operational. It must have been a long time ago, judging by the state it's in now.

Reaching the tunnel mouth turned out to be much more difficult that I'd expected, thanks to fallen trees and mud, and for most of the way it was easier to paddle along the stream that now flows down the old track. Eventually I got there.


This tunnel has an interesting history. The building on the right of the tunnel mouth is an old guardroom, built during the Second World War, when the tunnel was requisitioned to store munitions. You can just make out the raised loading platform on the left.

I've blogged about this tunnel before. This is what I wrote in July 2014:
    This is Moseley Green, where the old railway line went through a 503 yard-long tunnel that has a story to tell. In 1942 the Admiralty was desperate to find safe places to store munitions, so requisitioned the tunnel.  The tracks were lifted, the three ventilation shafts capped, and on one of the shafts they plonked an anti-aircraft gun.  Now perhaps I'm not the brightest girl around, but wasn't that likely to give the game away?  Imagine the scene... and here comes a German Spionageflugzeug, which quickly notices that the railway line present in 1941 has mysteriously disappeared. Then, flying down to get a closer look, he's fired on from one of the vent shafts!  Perhaps that's why the Admiralty moved out in 1943 and the railway line was reinstated.
Onward once more, retracing my hazardous trek to the tunnel, then continuing along the trackbed to Pillowell, where I was engaged in conversation by three people who were 'laying' a hedge. "It looks to me," I remarked, perhaps rather unkindly, "as if you're flattening it!"  But, of course, they weren't and they went on to explain the art of hedge laying, which is done by carefully thinning the upright stems, then weaving smaller branches between them.  I watched them work for a while, then bade them a cheery farewell and embarked on the final stretch of my walk.

The whole journey had been recorded on my Noom smartphone app. As I remarked earlier, it was longer than I'd expected, but I wasn't complaining.  One really does meet such lovely people. That said, if I haven't shed a few pounds when I weigh in on Saturday morning, I shall feel most aggrieved!



4 comments:

  1. What about the limping dog, Angie? Did it find its way home?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it again, Lucy. I share the lady's concern that dogs really should have a collar with ID, but suspect that it's actually well cared for.

      Delete
  2. Yes I love watching people work and am interested in Hedge laying where i Was brought up in Worcestershire there used to be a lot of it though I think it has been superseded by the tractor mounted flail
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tractor mounted flails are the work of the devil! I have my grandfather's hedging tool even though I live in an area of stone walls, the blade is made of super hard steel which keeps it's edge even after trimming roof slates. Tools, don't make them like they used to...

    ReplyDelete