Monday 23 November 2015

Who do you tell?

A couple of months ago I decided to give up blogging about Angie.  Hitherto, there had been a story to tell, but the story was all but complete. Surely it was time to put the past behind me, spend less time peering upon a computer screen and concentrate on one or two other creative pursuits of mine.

It was, I now admit, the wrong decision. My life cannot easily be divided into distinct chapters. Friends from years ago are still friends; places that I loved are still loved. I am who I am because the experiences of the past 60 or more years have shaped me, and they continue to shape me today. There is still a story that I wish to tell, and it matters not if only few will read it.

I've been married for more than four decades.  At the age of 21 I swapped a mother for a spouse and promised that I would stay that way until death did us part... and it hasn't parted us yet. Sometimes, though, I do permit myself to wonder what life might be like if I lived alone.  I reckon I'd cope quite well with the practical tasks but it's the companionship I'd miss the most.  You see a beautiful sunset, watch a calf being born or hear a good story.  Who are you going to tell?

It's that deep-rooted desire to tell somebody that has kept me blogging.  So here's one must tell story that should have been blogged about weeks ago...

The 2015 Rugby World Cup is past and gone, and I guess that the English would rather not be reminded of it! As a Cornish lass, though, I found it easy enough to transfer my allegiance to Wales and keep cheering for a little longer. Several of the games (though none involving England or Wales) were held in Gloucester, and to aid the festivities the City Fathers invited Friends Ukenited to join in the festivities and entertain the crowds. So here we are, in the centre of Gloucester. I'm on the far right, with my little blue ukulele.

Can you believe it? One year ago I couldn't play a single chord on a ukulele; now here I am, standing alongside seasoned players and singing at the top of my voice:

Scrumpty's our rugby hero, he's pretty good, so they say,
Scrumpty's our rugby hero, he plays it every day,
Ooo ah ooo ah ay,
Ooo ah ooo ah ay.

'Tis quality stuff, my dear. And I've just got to tell someone!

5 comments:

  1. A page turned! I've deleted your old blog from my Blog List, and put this new one in its place.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just never know what is round the corner Ooo ah ooo ah ay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmarked your new page.
    Did you get my Email
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O yes - email read and digested, a significant factor in my decision to keep blogging. I'll reply this evening. x

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that you changed your mind about blogging. I'm looking forward to finding how things pan out.

    Best wishes for the future

    Hugs, Anna,

    ReplyDelete